ADQL XMATCH

Theresa Dower dower at stsci.edu
Wed Feb 10 17:03:05 CET 2016

While the issue of distance() being overloaded in ADQL remains, I wanted to note that for our use of SQL Server at STScI, we do enough query rewriting already that a translation from [something like] distance(....) would be basically the same work as we already have to do with contains().

I echo Alex's concern about calling something simple 'xmatch' when it isn't, or effectively putting the burden of a better crossmatch implementation on service providers. Something like distance(...) would be more honest, though I have no suggestion for quite what to call it without overloading that function.

--Theresa