ADQL XMATCH

Marco Molinaro molinaro at oats.inaf.it
Wed Apr 6 11:52:44 CEST 2016

Dear all,
let me: summarize, refresh and propose a way to go on with the
crossmatch functionality in ADQL, in view of the oncoming Cape Town
Interop.
(warning: summary will be really sketchy, don't take offence if I let
out your specific point)

We started out of 1=XMATCH(a,b,radius) and the duality a,b: point or
coord couple?
This was to avoid the 1=CONTAINS(...) existing solution.
However, simple arguments showed it not to be probably a good solution, e.g.
- it's fixed to have a 1/0 response to mimic boolean
- it's a brute force solution to a complex matching scenario
- function name not that brilliant considering this last concern
However, to have a simple distance estimator available quickly in
ADQL, we cannot work on more complex solutions in v2.1 (it's a minor),
so a proposal was to bend towards a DISTANCE(ra1,dec1,ra2,dec2) <
radius solution.
Apart from skipping the complex scenario cross match, this one _only_
the drawback that we need to understand how to work or work-around the
overload in ADQL since DISTANCE(<POINT>,<POINT>) already exists.
(and maybe clearly define whether we need to keep only this one, not
to skip epoch issues).
A suggestion was also to have someone write a Note on the way to write
performant sky positional crossmatches in ADQL.

Now, if we'd like to have an ADQL WD ready for Cape Town, we have two ways:
- finalize discussion here and put the outcome in the WD
- put an RFC outcome in the WD anyway and finalize it in Cape Town

In both cases there will be a TAP/ADQL session at the Interop where
contributions will be highly welcome on this, other ADQL related open
issues and future ADQL developments (and here I am referring
explicitly to the proposed way of having crossmatch with estimators or
other solutions to the xmatch problem).

Please don't stop providing your contribution here, because it's
contribution that makes VO go on.
And don't forget to submit your contribution to Cape Town Interop DAL
session (now, of after the call comes to your inbox).

Cheers,
    Marco