SIA and FORMAT=ALL comments

Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1) tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Wed Sep 16 19:24:52 CEST 2015

We recently had an issue validating an SIA (V1) service which did not
accept the syntax

    FORMAT=ALL

While I'd originally thought that support for this is clearly mandated
by the standard, reality seems a bit more nuanced.  There is no explicit
statement that FORMAT=ALL be allowed and there is an explicit statement
that support for any given format is optional. However there is a note
that if no format is given then it should be treated as FORMAT=ALL and
the FORMAT parameter is optional.  On balance I'd take this to mean that
support for FORMAT=ALL is indeed mandatory, but I'd have appreciated a
clearer statement.

In SIA V2 I see that the SIA V1 special format strings, including ALL
and GRAPHICS_ALL, seem to no longer be supported.  I presume this was
intentional but  being able to request all available formats without
knowing in advance what they are seems like a nice feature.  Are we
allowed to continue to support these in the new version?  The current
language seems to suggest not since the value for FORMAT looks like it's
required to be mime-type.  The text in 2.1.19 seems actually to be
designed to be for the format result column rather than the input
keyword, but perhaps I misunderstand.

      Tom

P.S., I'm sure this has been mentioned before but there is something odd
about 2.1.18 in at least the HTML version of the standard I'm seeing at
http://www.ivoa.net/documents/SIA/20150730/PR-SIA-2.0-20150730.html#toc11 where
it appears to be blank.