New SIA v2 proposal

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue Sep 15 21:14:00 CEST 2015

On 14/09/15 11:20 PM, Walter Landry wrote:
> I am not comfortable with this approach.  If you make people put
> something in that slot that is not 'NULL', it does not feel like a
> NULL.  VOTable defines +Inf and -Inf, and it would have the expected
> effect.  Users do not understand NaN as well as infinity.

<editor-hat>

It is really unfortunate that someone who knew that +Inf and -Inf were
supported (I didn't) wasn't there in Sesto. Still, as editor I should
have looked more closely at the VOTable spec before writing those
examples :-(

Anyway, the principle being (incompletely) adopted is that parameter
values should be serialised the same way as VOTable arrays (of numbers
in this case). The phrase "range values are encoded using the VOTable
array serialisation" means that NaN, +Inf and -Inf are all allowed (we
didn't explicitly say they are not), although we don't give any such
examples except for unspecified bounds aka NaN.

** So: Walter is completely right and the examples should be fixed to
show use of +inf and -Inf. **

As for your specific comfort with NaN usage here, the real problem is
that we were wanting to allow "unspecified bound" which turns out to be
NaN. I agree it has some ugly all over it...  Allowing unspecified
bounds (NaN) really adds no value at all at this point since you have to
put something in the param value anyway; that could go.

</editor-hat>

<tcg-hat>

The changes in the PR in response to the TCG review will be reviewed
during a TCG review phase. Since this is an issue of compatibility
between RECs from different WGs it seems appropriate to be aired in that
context.

</tcg-hat>

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2E7

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)