New SIA v2 proposal

Walter Landry wlandry at caltech.edu
Mon Sep 7 09:51:25 CEST 2015

Hello Everyone,

The new version of SIA v2 proposal has shown up on the website.  I
have two comments.

1) The syntax for ranges uses NaN to indicate infinity.  I do not
understand this at all.  NaN is not infinity.  Also, it provides no
way to distinguish between positive and negative infinity.  We should
use Inf, inf, Infinity, or infinity.

2) RANGE: As I understand it, there have been 4 groups that
implemented SIA v2 prototypes.  2 of them found RANGE useful, 2 of
them did not.  As I have said before, RANGE is not needed and not
always trivial to implement.  I do not think it should be required by
the standard.

Cheers,
Walter Landry