Application of distributed caching for Astronomical databases

KV Santhilata santhilata.kuppili_venkata at kcl.ac.uk
Mon May 18 23:16:47 CEST 2015

Hi,

My name is Santhilata. I am a research student in the department of
Informatics  at King's college London, UK.

  I have attended IVOA-2011 in Pune, India and then I have observed that
IVOA is not exactly working in the area of reducing large data transfers.
In a typical virtual observatory scenario, a community of like minded
astronomers would query for same data repeatedly. With huge number of
columns and millions of rows, when a query needs data from multiple
(distributed) databases, a distributed caching mechanism is necessary.

I am working on the benefits of caching partial queries as data objects
from a community cache. This exactly suits for astronomical data as, the
typical queries can be moulded as full / partial data objects. This
particular quality enables us to find patterns in the user queries and use
those patterns for cache refreshing. I would like to extend this work to
develop mobile cache systems.

I would like to present my work at the forth coming IVOA to get suggestions
and further ideas. Please suggest me whether this suits to your agenda.

- Regards,

Santhilata K.V