Axes in Obscore: Velociity axes

Jose Enrique Ruiz jer at iaa.es
Mon May 4 10:56:17 CEST 2015

Hi all
thanks for the effort in adding gas velocity info into obscore.

in case it helps, I would add info relating to the transition line causing
the redshifted line-emission, i.e. some users maybe interested in objects
emitting HI21 cm line while others could be in objects emitting in CO 3mm
transition. While I think this is somehow covered in d_restfreq, and
clients-apps could make a kind of lookup resolution in transition_name <->
d_restfreq, I guess a transition_name column will help.

Cheers

---

Jose Enrique Ruiz
Instituto Astrofisica Andalucía - CSIC
Glorieta de la Astronomía s/n
18009 Granada, Spain
Tel: +34 958 230 618

> [...]
>
> Examples with FITS files would help , either for a simple add_on in
> ObsCore , of for a deeper exploration of which WCS keywords are needed.
> Thanks , Mireille.
>

> Le 24/04/2015 10:15, Marco Molinaro a écrit :
>
>> Hi Mireille, Hi all,
>>
>> if I get it right, that table comes out of obscore's use case A.3.2.
>> It seems to me that my case takes something also from the A.3.4 (because
>> my
>> users want to see RESTFRQ reported, even if it's not in the FITS header
>> explicitly)  and also the cubes we're dealing with span both the 3 axis
>> and
>> 4 axis cases (even if the 4th currently is just degenerate and not
>> considered in the usage of data).
>>
>> Anyway, that said, I think that d_
>> ucd
>> unit
>> definition
>> min
>> max
>> would suffice. I think reference_position will be GEOCENTRIC in my case,
>> but I have to investigate.
>>
>> In some sense the above listed are enough to describe the data for the
>> needs of the community I'm serving, I'm wondering if it's ok also for a
>> generic VO user searching for datasets that include the ones I (will) have
>> in place.
>>
>> As for the units specification Arnold pointed out: my user need it not in
>> search phase (the unit there is fixed by the service interface, which I
>> think will always be the case in VO) but it wants it in the response to
>> ease the work of the client app. So probably my use case does not put
>> requirements on this issue.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>      Marco
>>
>> ps - to be honest all my use case works in GLON,GLAT instead of RA,DEC,
>> but
>> that's trivial.

>>  Hi Marco , Hi all ,
>>>
>>> I think your use-case corresponds to the current questions we have about
>>> axes description.
>>>
>>> I proposed together with Doug Tody , some way to describe the velocity
>>> axis, and showed this in Banff.
>>> the slides are here :
>>>
>>> http://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/InterOpOct2014DM/obcore-ObsdatasetDM_compatibility.pdf
>>>
>>> Do you think you could reconsider the table I shown , page 5 and check if
>>> columns starting with d_ would help in your case.
>>> There has been several iterations with Doug Tody about this axis
>>> description.
>>> I am eager to know if that would fit your needs or not.
>>>
>>> Cheers , Mireille.
>>>

>>> Le 23/04/2015 15:50, Marco Molinaro a écrit :
>>>
>>>  Hi Markus, hi all,

>>> Mireille Louys  , Maître de conférences
>>> Centre de Données ( CDS)                Icube & Télécom Physique
>>> Strasbourg, Pôle API
>>> Observatoire de Strasbourg              300, boulevard Sébastien Brant
>>> 11, Rue de l'Université                 CS 10413
>>> 67000 Strasbourg                                F - 67412 ILLKIRCH Cedex