table_name syntax

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Mon Apr 27 18:25:40 CEST 2015

The intent of that language was so that clients would not mangle the
table_name and column_name values to avoid case-sensitivity issues... in
that spirit, I think I agree that if table and column names need to be
quoted then the values in the tap_schema and VOSI-tables must be quoted
so that clients don't need to pay attention to such details.

I feel this makes quoted identifiers something the service can use and
worry about but mostly doesn't bother clients. I'm sure that vizier has
good reasons to name their tables this way and their service probably
does something smart with them... but clients shouldn't have to check
the table_name with a parser to see if it needs quoting.

So, I think the second option below is "right".... meaning avoids more
pain all around.

Pat

On 27/04/15 07:00 AM, Mark Taylor wrote:
> gives
>
>     +-------------+-------------------+
>     | schema_name | table_name        |
>     +-------------+-------------------+
>     | viz4        | B/avo.rad/catalog |
>     | viz4        | B/avo.rad/wsrt    |
>     | viz4        | B/bax/bax         |
>     +-------------+-------------------+
>
> Should it instead give
>
>     +-------------+---------------------+
>     | schema_name | table_name          |
>     +-------------+---------------------+
>     | viz4        | "B/avo.rad/catalog" |
>     | viz4        | "B/avo.rad/wsrt"    |
>     | viz4        | "B/bax/bax"         |
> ?
>
> I initially thought the answer to this was no.

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2E7

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)