What does TOP mean ?

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Mon Apr 27 17:56:50 CEST 2015

The algorithm used to compute the score for a dataset is up to the
data center and service, but can include both a best-match term and a
quality term (clearly best-match would be more important for an
individual query).

The main difference between MAXREC and TOP is scoring and sort by score.
Usually if TOP is specified MAXREC would not matter as it is likely to
be much larger, but MAXREC if specified should still be in effect and
could result in an overflow indication.

A service could treat TOP the same as MAXREC (all records having the
same score), however computing a useful scoring would be preferable.

Finally, Google made billions developing just such an algorithm!  It is
what made their search service stand out from the others, in the early
days.

 	- Doug