What does TOP mean ?

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Sat Apr 25 02:11:05 CEST 2015

TOP in SSAP is similar to what you get in a Google search, where some
automatic, smart heuristic is used to order the (potentially very many)
records that are found, returing the TOP=N records to the client.
Without this capability a large search with many hits would be
worthless.  TOP in SQL/ADQL (if implemented) returns the first N records
of whatever query the client requested.  The ordering is likely not well
defined, unless you add an ORDER BY clause or some such.

Unfortunately few actual SSAP services implement the protocol correctly,
and TOP is an advanced capability since heuristics like this are
inherently hard to implement (my NVO/VAO SSA reference implementation
does prototype TOP).  Clearly smart ordering of the query response would
be a useful feature in an advanced query, regardless of whether the
client uses the TOP constraint.  Think of it for example as a
multi-dimensional distance of each record from the central point in the
N-space requested by the client.

 	- Doug