Beside (Re: ObsCore update discussion : adding Axes information in Obscore table) ---> WCS in nDAL

Marco Molinaro molinaro at oats.inaf.it
Thu Apr 23 09:51:46 CEST 2015

Dear all,
regarding this topic I have a small use case that comes from a (currently
custom) set of services whose aim is to allow velocity spectra analysis of
galactic FITS cubes.
The full service (the combination of the set of services) itself can fit
into a "TAP/ObsCore-Datalink and/or SIAv2-AccessData" scenario.

The use case can be described as:
a - a super-set of FITS cubes from non-homogeneous galactic surveys and
pointed archives in the radio band is deployed to allow velocity spectra
analysis
b - the first step for the user is to search in this set for available data
along a line-of-sight, with possible filtering on a cone around it, or a
box around it, limiting the velocity range, selecting explicitly one/more
survey(s) by name, species, transition, ...
c - the search output (which includes something along the lines of a
PublisherDID) is then used to explicitly cut the needed cube(s) to make
data transfer affordable (in the near future merging of adjacent
"same-survey" cubes will be also implemented)

The need for WCS information in the output of the search comes from the
idea of allowing the client side to build correct cutout queries to the
system in terms of spatial boundaries but also for the available velocity
ranges and units available for each stored dataset.
That is, given the surveys are heterogeneous, a broad filtering will return
datasets with different boundaries and the client should be able to
understand the limits in coverage before asking for the actual data.
As a last, but not less important feature, the fits cutout can be performed
using both positional and velocity constraints, together or independently.

I take the chance of this mail thread to give here also my 2 cents on the
regexp approach Markus described in the DM-listed starting post on this
topic (http://mail.ivoa.net/pipermail/dm/2015-April/005150.html).
I tend to agree with Laurent's reply content.
I agree adding fields to a table is something we should care about, but
packaging information is not usually my preferred solution.
Anyway, it could work in discovery, but it's not enough for the results
output I need in my above use case.

Cheers,
    Marco