WD-AccessData-1.0-20140312

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Sep 25 09:08:36 CEST 2014

Hi DAL,

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 07:27:44PM +0200, François Bonnarel wrote:
>       2 ) As I told Markus several times nothing prevent anybody to
> build a "primitive type parameter" service for Access data
> functionalities  along the  lines of a "service descriptor" as is

Let me just briefly stress why I think that's beside the point: This
is *not* about the server side and the legality of services there.

Atomic parameters are about the *client* side.  They are the only
scheme I'm aware of that allows clients to provide robust, rich,
cross-server interfaces to server-side data processing services[1],
at least as long as we do not have a comprehensive, well-thought-out,
widely deployed and sufficiently generic data model for... data.  And
I'm not wild about holding my breath until we have that.

In order to give clients a chance to use the same parameter names and
values on different services, we need standardisation of the usual
parameters (e.g., through the three-factor semantics); without it,
cross-server cutouts or rebinnings or whatever will be unfeasible.

Cheers,

      Markus

[1] In case you've missed out on the previous discussion: To build
meaningful interfaces clients need to able to discover valid
parameter (ranges) on every parameter (or, for compound parameters,
every item represented in them).  As long as nobody shows how to do
this with POS, I'll keep on claiming it's not nearly good enough.