datalink-terms

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Wed Oct 22 18:30:18 CEST 2014

Yes, there is some potential for confusion when just using a single
word, but we have to balance that with what our user community will
think when they see little camel-case phrases :-)

I guess stylistically we are usually saying the linked resource

    "is a #term of #this"

which ~works for all the top level terms we have:

"is a #preview of #this"

"is a #calibration for #this"

"is an #auxiliary (file) for #this"

"is a #derivation of #this"
"is a #progenitor of #this"

"is a #cutout of #this" (well, admittedly #proc is not so good :-)

etc.

Then we get to just use normal words instead of phrases. I see that is
different from prov-dm, but we aren't trying to make a model, just a
vocabulary... in a DM one would certainly label a relation with
something more explicit.

Hope that makes sense. Is it sufficient to avoid confusion for our
target audience?

Pat

On 22/10/14 03:14 AM, Kristin Riebe wrote:

> * #derivation for forward links:
> W3C uses the term "Derivation" in the passive form ("wasDerivedFrom",
> http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-dm/#term-Derivation), i.e. it is used there
> for pointing backwards to where something is coming from.
>
> So I would like to avoid confusion when just using #derivation and
> specify more explicitly that this is a forward link, e.g. using
> #derivedEntities or similar.

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2E7

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)