datalink-terms

Dave Morris dave.morris at metagrid.co.uk
Tue Oct 21 02:43:02 CEST 2014

On 2014-10-20 19:37, Patrick Dowler wrote:
> I am in the process of updating our DataLink service to provide values
> in the semantics column and this requires some work on the vocabulary.
>
> 1. During the RFC period we decided that semantics value was required
> and that the vocabulary must therefore have a term for "self" or
> "this" to describe links to the  data itself.
>
> #this and #self make sense "inside" the thing they refer to, but the
> ID is in another field and is itself only an identifier, not the
> thing...

Serializing or de-serializing a property called 'this' might be
problematic for a Java or JavaScript object ?

There is some precedent for using 'self'.

It is part of the Atom syntax.

     "atom:feed elements SHOULD contain one atom:link element with a
      rel attribute value of "self".  This is the preferred URI for
      retrieving Atom Feed Documents representing this Atom feed."

It is also used in the Spring HATEOAS implementation.
https://spring.io/understanding/HATEOAS

     {
     "name": "Alice",
     "links": [ {