making TAP /async optional.

Laurent MICHEL laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
Mon May 19 09:35:53 PDT 2014

Hello,

I'd like to come back to Markus's point about the necessity (or not) of
keeping the /async mode mandatory in TAP.
The /async mode is justified by the necessity of enabling TAP servers to
process queries consuming a lot of time or resources. The problem is
that the decision of using one mode or another is taken on the
client/user side. That supposes the client or the user to have an idea
about the resources taken by the query or simply to be aware about that
issue.
Considering that even query engines hardly manage to predict the order
of magnitude of the query processing duration, I believe that giving the
choice to users is not really helpful.
Taphandle works around that issue by hiding this choice. It always using
the /async mode (when it is supported). If the requested data comes
within 10sec it is displayed as if the query was processed in /sync mode.
In my opinion, the choice of the sync mode should be under the
responsibility of the server which would just have to notify the client
that its job has been switched in /async mode (only concerning servers
implementing such an advanced feature).

A possible evolution of TAP could be to support a third sync mode
/autosync (no better name comes) which would behave exactly as /sync for
servers not supporting asynchronous processing or for queries responding
quickly. Otherwise, when a job is processed in /async mode, the query
response would be similar to that specified by the actual  /async mode.
The impact for the client would be limited. It would just have to
distinguish responses containing data from responses containing the
description of an /async job (to be defined).
Both /sync and /autosync would be mandatory.

Laurent

--
---- Laurent MICHEL              Tel  (33 0) 3 68 85 24 37
      Observatoire de Strasbourg  Fax  (33 0) 3 68 85 24 32
      11 Rue de l'Universite      Mail laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
      67000 Strasbourg (France)   Web  http://astro.u-strasbg.fr/~michel
---