About the draft itself Re: WD-SIA-2.0

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue May 6 08:07:45 PDT 2014

Hm, TT would be infinitely preferable as a timescale - after all, we are
doing astronomy.

For the spectral band TOPOCENTER may make the most sense when we are dealing
with wide bands - and there it does not matter too much.
High-resolution spectra are a different matter. My sense is that people are
going to give
you whatever they have and will not go through the exercise of transforming
their values
- basically, because whatever they have is likely to make the most sense
for the data.
BARYCENTER might be the preferred one, but I doubt its enforcement will be
feasible.
And don't call it barycentric wavelength.

I trust BAND refers to the spectral coordinate, not the
redshift/Dopplervelocity coordinate.
There you have the argument that I made above on spectra in spades.
TOPOCENTER-GEOCENTER-BARYCENTER is one thing, but LSR and Doppler
definitions
provide an additional twist and forcing extragalactic conventions on
Galactic data would be
unwise.

However, considering that TIME is a much easier case for settling on a
common reference
position, and that in that case you accept "UNKNOWN", why not just throw up
your hands
and do the same for the spectral coordinate?

Altogether pretty unsatisfactory, that's true. Personally, I think that's
why the Simple
protocols are a bit of a curse for the IVOA. As I predicted, when we
started out with
them, we will never manage to get beyond the assumptions in the SxAPs.

I have always wondered why meters was chosen if it isn't anyone's
first,...,nth choice,
besides wavelength being a quantity that is inferior to Hz or keV,
physically speaking.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA