RESPONSEFORMAT (was: Summary -- Re: Datalink Feedback)

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Fri May 2 14:13:32 PDT 2014

OK, I have thought about it....

On 22/04/14 03:34 PM, Patrick Dowler wrote:
> 2. (yet) I'm still thinking about how to clarify RESPONSEFORMAT

I propose to strip this section down to the bare minimum so that this
parameter is there (in compliance with DALI) only to allow an
implemention to have their own custom output formats. This basically
means that it will be clear that clients can ignore this parameter if
they want the standard VOTable output and services must return the
standard VOTable if there is no RESPONSEFORMAT or if RESPONSEFORMAT is
application/x-votable+xml[;<params].

While Markus has outlined the perils of using MIME types as values, I
think we can get away without saying much here. In my opinion, it is
safe for the service to ignore parameters (if present), but only because
DataLink specifically mandates TABLEDATA format. (If we move on to
TAP-1.x and we want to allow clients to pick the VOTable table
serialisation, then TAP-1.x (or DALI-1.x) will have to be more explicit
about MIME type parameters.)

In DataLink, the service only has to grok

* no RESPONSEFORMAT
* RESPONSEFORMAT=votable (DALI shortcut)
* RESPONSEFORMAT=application/x-votable+xml (strip and ignore params)

If they accept other values, that is custom behaviour we allow. Using
this approach, the only thing an implementation cannot do is let people
request (and return) VOTable with BINARY (eg) serialisation using the
official MIME type. They would have to define a new/custom shortcut.

I would also completely remove Section 3.3.2 (Text output) and for
errors we would allow custom error document format if someone implements
custom response format... but the standard error document would be VOTable.

Does that simplify this enough to be un-thorny?

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2E7

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)