Datalink feedback IV

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Mar 28 05:09:33 PDT 2014

Hi list,

this time, it's about "3.3 Successful Requests".

What I don't like there is the sentence "The service should set the
following HTTP headers to the correct values where possible." -- this
is a bit of an empty statement.  Clearly, *all* http headers should
be set to their correct values, and some of them must be or bad
things are bound to happen (e.g., content-length with connection:
keep; in particular, if you do content-encoding -- compression, say
--, the corresponding header must be set accordingly or things will
inevitably break).

Anyway, I don't think we should be saying anything here that is the
realm of HTTP.  We might recommend some best practices, but that would
be better placed in an non-normative appendix.

Considering this, I propose to only keep the first paragraph of 3.3
and then add

  The content-type header of the response MUST be set to
  application/x-votable+xml;content=datalink unless the incoming
  request had a DALI RESPONSEFORMAT parameter, in which case
  content-type follows DALI's rules.

Cheers,

      Markus