Datalink feedback II: RESOURCE type

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Fri Mar 21 09:03:33 PDT 2014

Hi Markus,

I was quite surprised when I ran into this in trying to create and
consume DataLink tables and found that type could only take values of
results or meta. (Checking... Ah. I even added a comment in Section 4.1
of the last DataLink WD about this, repeated here:

--
Below we describe resources that describe services by setting the type
attribute to the value “service”. However, the VOTable schema only

Right now we will have to use RESOURCE type="meta" to make things work
in prototypes.

Pat

On 21/03/14 02:28 AM, Markus Demleitner wrote:
> Dear DAL group, Dear Apps group
> I crosspost this as this is largely a VOTable issue.  Also, this is a
> welcome opportunity to point people not on the DAL list to
> http://www.ivoa.net/pipermail/dal/2014-March/006734.html -- I
> consider the question of fixing suboptimal VO practices in service
> parameter form *really* important and highly relevant to Apps, too,
> so let me cordially invite you to comment there, too.
>
> The issue at hand: The current Datalink WD says services are to be
> described in elements like
>
> <RESOURCE type="servce">...</RESOURCE>
>
> It turns out RESOURCE type="service" may not be VOTable-legal.
>
> Actually, it's a bit tricky.  In VOTable, the schema is not
> normative, the spec text is.  Here is what it has to say about type:
>
>    [A RESOURCE] may also be qualified by type="meta", meaning that the
>    resource is descriptive only, i.e. does not contain any actual data: no
>    DATA element should exist in any of its sub-elements. A RESOURCE without
>    this attribute may however have no DATA sub-element.
>
> The text does not mention type="results" at all as far as I can tell.
>
> On the other hand, the schema says type defaults to results, which means
> that technically, the type="results" thing we have in our DAL responses
> wouldn't be necessary at all *if* we took the standard seriously.
>
> My take: The situation is confused enough to say the restriction on
> type should be lifted in the schema with the next VOTable release,
> presumably together with the default specification that nobody should
> have relied upon in the first place.  Meanwhile, the normative text
> doesn't keep us from using type="service", so I'd say we're fine.
>
> An obvious alternative might be to use utypes (and then
> type="metadata"), but I'd much prefer if we could keep improvised
> utypes out of datalink until there's clearly no choice.
>
> Cheers,
>
>            Markus

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2E7

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)