WD-AccessData-1.0-20140312

Mark Allen mark.allen at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Mar 20 16:09:16 PDT 2014

Hi Petr,

An important part of the effort to make multi-dimensional data accessible and useable within the VO is the engagement with projects that produce (or will produce) data cubes. To name some of these projects that participated in the focus sessions and following discussions:

ALMA
LOFAR
ASKAP
(SKA)
JVLA
CGPS (survey)
CALIFA
MUSE
(ESO IFUs)
(JWST IFUs)

Data from some of these have been shown in demonstrations and are being used to guide developments within VO projects. These are real data cubes. Further examples welcome.

The current efforts on the standards are to satisfy minimal requirements on discovery and access. Of course, doing science with data cubes requires much more, and we will need to consider the roles of services, user interfaces and tools. I think that some of your comments are mixing these things together, in particular for BAND. The standard needs to be uniform and simple, but tools or services could offer any number of ways for an astronomer to specify a wavelength/frequency/energy range. For example, I think that a user interface could use a look-up of the SVO filter service to do for BAND what the NED/CDS sesame name resolver does for coordinates, presenting a way for the astronomer to deal with filter names, but using the standard that speaks only in metres (or Hz).

The interop in Madrid will provide a check point for the standards, and the follow-up focus session there will discuss the next steps including approaches to implementation and the roles of tools and services.

- Mark

On 20 Mar 2014, at 21:59, Petr Skoda <skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz> wrote:

> Well - my guess the Accessdata will probably be focused on ALMA data cube as I cannot now imagine other instrument (but I am not experienced in radio)  that is producing datacubes consistent with datacube propaganda (i.e all axes are densely sampled and and by flattening it every direction we get some well-known data product (light curve, spectrum image, ....)
>
> In fact - if the standing highest priority of CSP on datacubes is degrading all the transformations, post-processing etc to simple cube-cutout (in current versionof SIAP2,accessdata...) - were there presented REAL formats of such datacubes (practical examples) - from what instruments ?

Mark Allen
mark.allen at astro.unistra.fr