Datalink feedback I: standardID(s)

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Mar 19 02:46:13 PDT 2014

Dear DAL group,

As requested by Pat, I'll post my datalink feedback issue by issue so
as to enable easier discussion.  This first installment is about the
standardID,

ivo://ivoa.net/std/DataLink#links

-- my gripe is that it's not versioned.  There's something to be said
for that, but as this ID is basically the only way right now to
discover the version of a datalink response and clients may well wish
to find that version out, I think it should really be:

ivo://ivoa.net/std/DataLink#links-1.0

Though this is a bit different from the pattern we've been discussing
in other places (which would end in Datalink#1.0 or so), I have to
say I like the flexibility we gain by not referencing an
endorsedVersion but rather something else a lot[1].

As this identifier must reference something, I've prepared some
StandardsRegExt XML for DataLink that could (and I believe should) go
into the registry essentially now.  In this, the thing referenced by
the identifier is a StandardKey; referencing those with fragments has
already been done in TAPRegExt, so I'd say we're fine here.

Would you have a quick look at it to chekc if I got things basically
right?  If there's no protest: Pat, I think as the main author you
should formally ask Ray to put it into RofR.

So, here's my take:

--------------------------8<-----------------------------
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- The resource record for Datalink, intended to reside in RofR
-->
<ri:Resource
  xsi:type="vstd:Standard"
  created="2014-03-19T09:18:00"
  updated="2014-03-19T09:18:00"
  status="active"
  xmlns:vr="http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOResource/v1.0"
  xmlns:vstd="http://www.ivoa.net/xml/StandardsRegExt/v1.0"
  xmlns:ri="http://www.ivoa.net/xml/RegistryInterface/v1.0"
  xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOResource/v1.0
    http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOResource/v1.0
  http://www.ivoa.net/xml/StandardsRegExt/v1.0
    http://www.ivoa.net/xml/StandardsRegExt/v1.0
  http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOResource/v1.0
    http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOResource/v1.0">

  <title>IVOA DataLink</title>
  <identifier>ivo://ivoa.net/std/DataLink</identifier>
  <curation>
    <publisher>IVOA</publisher>
    <creator>
      <name>IVOA DAL WG</name>
      <logo>http://www.ivoa.net/icons/ivoa_logo_small.jpg</logo>
    </creator>
    <date role="representative">2014-02-28</date>
    <version>1.0</version>
    <contact>
      <name>IVOA DAL WG</name>
      <email>dal at ivoa.net</email>
    </contact>
  </curation>
  <content>
    <subject>Data retrieval</subject>
    <subject>Virtual observatory</subject>
    <description>
      DataLink describes the linking of data discovery metadata to services
      that provide access to further detailed metadata, the data itself, and
      services that perform operations on the data.
    </description>
    <referenceURL>http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/DataLink</referenceURL>
  </content>
  <endorsedVersion status="wd">1.0</endorsedVersion>

  <!-- As we may want to define several different capabilities within
  datalink, we define several versioned terms as targets for standardID
  and similar.
  -->
  <key>
    <name>links-1.0</name>
    <description>
      An endpoint that returns DataLink 1.0 metadata on links and
      related services.
    </description>
  </key>

</ri:Resource>

Cheers,

          Markus

[1] Full disclosure: I like it in particular as it would let us have

ivo://ivoa.net/std/DataLink#access-1.0

if my Bambi eyes finally worked and we included standard data access
parameters in Datalink.