Multi-dimensional Data Access minimal requirements

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 11 13:36:01 PDT 2014

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014, Robert J. Hanisch wrote:

> On 3/11/14 3:49 PM, "Douglas Tody" <dtody at nrao.edu> wrote:
>
>> A region specified as a RANGE of RA,DEC is not how to specify the image
>> footprint required for an image cutout, due to the cos(dec) term, and
>> due the fact that in most 2D projections of the celestial sphere lines
>> of constant RA,DEC are curved.
>
> I think in most use cases it won't make much difference.

The curvature issue may not matter much for a smaller image, but an
image specified with the same RANGE for RA will be twice as big at
+60deg as on the equator.  A 1-degree angular extent measured at the
reference point however (image center for a ROI), will be the same size
image in both locations.

> But either way,
> I still think "circle" is not what one wants for a cutout.  It's ok for
> discovery, but not for a cutout.

Exactly.  Circle is usable for discovery but not very useful to specify
the ROI for a cutout.  Note that in the discovery use case, there are
also issues with the size and coverage of the target image - is the
center of the target image in the specified circular region, or only
part of the image, is it fully contained, etc. (this was the point of
the INTERSECT parameter).

 	- Doug