Multi-dimensional Data Access minimal requirements

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 11 12:49:34 PDT 2014

A region specified as a RANGE of RA,DEC is not how to specify the image
footprint required for an image cutout, due to the cos(dec) term, and
due the fact that in most 2D projections of the celestial sphere lines
of constant RA,DEC are curved.

Instead we want to specify the image center and angular size in one or
two dimensions (as Andreas also said earlier).  In other words, POS
(image center), and SIZE (angular extent of the image in degrees).  Or
the same thing expressed as a more complex POS object supporting BOX or
RECT if you prefer.

POS,SIZE is the 2D equivalent of a circle specified as a central
coordinate and diameter.  It is the natual way to specify an image ROI
as for an astronomical image, the central coordinate almost always has
some meaning (object position or field center), and wants to be
specified independently of angular extent or size.

 	- Doug