SIA 2.0 POS parameters

Walter Landry wlandry at caltech.edu
Mon Jun 30 11:29:27 PDT 2014

Patrick Dowler <patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:

> TL;DR -- Extensive experience has shown that including the coord
> system metadata with the values in TAP (ADQL functions and values in
> the result table using STC-S) was a mistake that needs to be
> fixed. The first rule of fixing a mistake is to stop doing it!! In
> param values should *not* include coordinate system metadata.

Is this reasoning written down somewhere?  Otherwise it is hard for me
to understand it.

> PS-I did make a note for myself at ESAC to figure out a way to enable
> use of the SIA spec where the fixed system (ICRS) wss not applicable:
> planetary data specifically since this seemed to be the only issue
> stopping that community from using it. I'll try to figure that out
> this week and post it. In the mean time, assume all values are in a
> fixed system/units/etc.
>

> More comments below on some details:
>
> On 30/06/14 10:37 AM, Walter Landry wrote:
>> Jose Enrique Ruiz <jer at iaa.es> wrote:
>>> Hi Walter, DAL

>>> In the case of discovery (SIA 2-0) I understand that the
>>> response/output
>>> image of a discovery query does not need to be aligned with any
>>> geometry.
>>> POS is intended to define the spatial dimension of ROI for
>>> *discovery*. In
>>> the case of AccessData I agree RANGE is not very useful for cutouts,
>>> like
>>> CIRCLE I think it's better suited for discovery purposes.
>>>
>>> This reminds me that it would be good to define in the SIA 2-0 specs
>>> ,the
>>> degree of intersection between ROI and the response image.
>>
>> I do not understand.  For discovery, it is simple enough to create a
>> polygon with the four corners.  The main difference is that the
>> corners will be joined by great circles rather than lines of constant
>> latitude.  I do not see how that would cause a problem.

> The CSP use cases never mention searching by point. Technically, they
> also don't mention searching by range or polygon either but I wanted
> to include those in the design specifically because (i) polygon is
> inherently a variable-sized construct and it was unacceptable come up
> with a parameter design that could never support it and (ii) range is
> a common expectation and plays the same role as POS and SIZE in SIAv1,
> so we aren't losing a feature.

Range has different semantics from SIZE in SIA v1.  That is why I
proposed the Box shape.  As I mentioned earlier, Range does not seem
useful.

> As for point, when I ask people that study astronomical objects (eg
> galaxies) they always say they want circle (for both discovery and
> cutout!!) and they know how big to make them. I agree that point makes
> sense, but it turns out to not be very useful in practice. However, it
> could be added in a minor revision if we find a compelling reason.

There are plenty of people who look at point sources.  Since SIA v2 is
not confirmed yet, why don't we just add it to the spec now?  I can do
the work for that if you like.

Cheers,
Walter Landry