adql: prefixes in TAP_SCHEMA.columns

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue Jun 24 12:16:24 PDT 2014

On 24/06/14 01:21 AM, Markus Demleitner wrote:
> So -- does anyone want to champion the adql: prefixes at this point?
> In particular, Pat, do you keep up your preference in favour of them?
> If nobody steps in, I'd remove them from the RegTAP PR before
> submitting it (tomorrow, probably), and I'd propose a clarification
> to the TAP specification in the Implementation Notes some time later.

The scenario I used a different prefix was when I had a column with an
array (long[] or double[]). Without the prefix, this is still correctly
described in the tap_schema with the size column, eg:

datatype: DOUBLE
size: 2

As long as clients are careful to look at the size in the tap_schema for
datatype other than char or varchar, there is no ambiguity. Given the
suggestion to allow non-standard types I think it is safe to say that
non-standard size as we are using is also acceptable.

Given that, the prefix does not provide anything useful and I agree that
we should probably drop them.

Obviously, clients already see both of these uses in the wild.. Should
TAP services work to stop using the prefix now or with TAP-1.1?

Also, if we intend to allow non-standard datatype names, does that imply
that we can stick them in the xtype attribute? I use and want to
describe things like URIs, URLs, and UUIDs...

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2E7

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)