datatype values in TAP_SCHEMA.columns

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Wed Jun 4 16:25:43 PDT 2014

On 04/06/14 02:37 AM, Mark Taylor wrote:
 > A related issue is use of non-database type values (e.g. votable:long
 > in the above) in this column.  I think it's not legal (anyone disagree?),
 > but I've had a conversation with Pat about this in the past and I
 > think he has some reason for wanting them in there anyway.

The reason I did this is because I wanted to use array types in the
tables and map them trivially to votable. This is used for the couple of
columns in SIAv1 votables that have arraysize="2". It seemed that using
datatype="adql:DOUBLE" size="2" in the tap schema was more likely to
confuse clients than using datatype="votable:double"...

That votable-prefixed value comes from VODataService and can be directly
used in valid VOSI-tables output. Since TAP_SCHEMA and VODataService
descriptions were designed to be compatible, it seemed like a
good/acceptable idea to use them.

  guess I have one other alternative: I could use datatype"adql:DOUBLE"
and size="2" instead of that votable-prefix... would that be
bad/unexpected for clients? It is valid VOTable but that column can only
be selected and not used in the where clause (well, is [not] null would
work) in ADQL.

And now we come full circle to my first response: this comes down to
using TAP beyond the lowest-common-denominator mode. In this case I have
non-standard datatypes (arrays) that I can get to work in the system
with a little bit of flexibility. I think that should be OK and is a
feature of VO standards that they can be used to go beyond the spec... I
don't think TAP can say that no one can use arrays, or
arbitrary-precision values, or URI, or UUID, or COLOUR, or any other
datatype they might have in the DB and could encode in VOTable (with a
suitable xtype aka tap schema datatype to warn people it is something
custom).

my 2c,

Pat

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2E7

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)