DataLink RFC period annoucment

Pierre Fernique Pierre.Fernique at astro.unistra.fr
Fri Jul 18 02:48:37 PDT 2014

Dear DAL members,
Concerning the Datalink RFC, I have one general comment, a few technical
questions, and a wish.

*1) General comment:*
Despite the introduction,  the difference between the two datalink
methods has not be clear for me. Both are called "datalink" and it is
difficult to understand the difference between the two methods with the
same name.  I suspect that there were various author point of views and
no definitive choice. Why and when we have to use one method or the
other one would be helpful for future implementors.

*2) Technical questions:* Concerning the second method (with the  PARAM
definitions by GROUP):
The possibilities opened by this method is very promising. At the first
view, it seems simple and flexible, and very useful to build on the fly
associated user forms.

a) However, I do not see how to describe REST links, or any URL for
which the prefix depends of the parameter values. May be I'm wrong, but
it seems that this method can only build URL on this template :
http://static_url_prefix?param1=val1&param2=val2...
However, it is quite common that some servers provide their collections
on this basis URL template :
http://host/variable_path/datasetID (VOSpace links ?). It would be great
if basis URLs could be also described by this datalink method.

b) Also, I did not find any thing concerning HTTP encoding requirements.
May be a short paragraph could avoid some stupid future bugs (param=val
must be correctly HTTP encoded..., the & character must be used as
parameter separator)

c) One point concerning "blank or missing value". In my experience,
some  servers have no ALL option for such or such parameter : just the
lack of the HTTP "param=xxx" parameter meaning "ALL" for this
constraint. Removing the "&param=" parameter of the URL in case of blank
or missing value can be a solution for managing these cases.

*3) My wish. *
In IVOA we use frequently VOTable as a container (SIA, SSA, TAP, ObsTAP,
and now Datalink), but without magic code or any signature to recognize
that this VOTable is a Datalink result, or a TAP result or whatever. And
concretely it is a nightmare for client which are supporting
simultaneously several of these protocols. I recommend to introduce in
our VOTable protocols (at least the new protocols) a signature which
could be a simple INFO tag (ex: <INFO name="protocol"
value="datalink1.0"/>).

Best regards
Pierre Fernique