SIA 2.0 POS parameters

Walter Landry wlandry at caltech.edu
Thu Jul 10 16:53:55 PDT 2014

Patrick Dowler <patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:

> curl will perform url-encoding for you if called in the right way :-)

I do not see it in the man page.

> At the highest level, the question here is whether we want to impose a
> design constraint that url-encoding of parameters is *never*
> required. That is the only way we can say anything to client writers
> and users (who script stuff with curl) other than "be safe: always
> encode parameter values".
>
> I do not think we can impose that constraint simply because there is
> an IAU standard for naming things that uses a + sign and many
> astronomers name things like files in that style, with the + sign, and
> it breaks all over the place unless everyone is consistently following
> the above safety advice. We would break a ton of things if we started
> telling people they don't need to encode...

For a simple protocol, we might be able to specify that.  We do not
allow astronomical names.  It is only ra and dec.  Also, I think SIA
v1 does not require encoding.  That is the nice thing about simple
protocols: no thinking required.

But really, my main complaint is that it is yet another syntax.

Cheers,
Walter Landry