SIA 2.0 POS parameters

Walter Landry wlandry at caltech.edu
Tue Jul 8 11:03:56 PDT 2014

Patrick Dowler <patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:

> While it is nice if param values do not have to be encoded/decoded,
> good web software always encodes and decodes just-in-case.

Curl does not encode the string you give it.

> Yes, it makes it hard to type URLs and (more importantly to me) very
> hard to read/check the encoded ones.
>
> I have implemented the current POS parsing and it works.
>
> I have implemented the functional syntax in the past (service no
> longer operational). The parser was uglier and the error messages were
> more opaque, but it worked. In some previous exploratory work on PQL
> by Daniel Durand, the functional style seemed to be more generally
> useful beyond structured values, but that was just blue-sky thinking
> :-)

I agree that it is slightly more complicated to parse.  However, the
syntax is still simple enough that you can use a regex.  So I do not
think that there is much of a burden for a simple service.

What I really do not like is that it is yet another syntax.

Cheers,
Walter Landry