PubDIDs (and DIDs in general, maybe)

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Jan 31 12:27:04 PST 2014

I think you are missing the point here.
the argument I am making is that extending a persistent identifier
with additional parameters would allow to drill down into compound
data objects; for instance, select individual files from multi-file
datasets. Persistence requires that whatever is issued as a persistent
identifier will remain supported in perpetuity by the repository and its
successors. Fragility is simply not allowed.
However, one might envision allowing non-persistent options: these
would be parameters and parameter values that are not included
in the persistent identifier, but can, at any given time, be obtained
from the repository through a metadata query option; so it would
be a dynamic construction. It would require that something akin to:
ivo://ADS/Sa.CXO?mode=optionquery
should be included in the persistent set.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA
http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 12:20 PM, Douglas Tody <dtody at nrao.edu> wrote:

> [...]
>> identifiers.
>>
>> That simplifies matters already, but in addition one can allow extensions
>> that
>> drill down directly to individual files in the package:
>> ivo://ADS/Sa.CXO?obsid=05285&type=event&level=2
>> Everything after the question mark gets passed on to the server.
>> If the server is smart, one might even allow drilling down into the file,
>> selecting columns:
>> ivo://ADS/Sa.CXO?obsid=05285&type=event&level=2&column=Time,pha
>> or just particular values:
>> vo://ADS/Sa.CXO?obsid=05285&type=event&level=2&column=
>> Time,pha&tstart=2010-04-15T12:30:36
>> &tstop=2010-04-15T13:23:00
>>
>> This may not be a high priority for the current use of dataset identifiers
>> linking entire datasets to papers, but it would be extremely useful when
>> we
>> start using persistent identifiers for published data in data discovery
>> and
>> focused data mining.
>>
>> In short: the persistent identifier registry only needs to be aware of the
>> part in front of  '?' (%3F), and then it is up to the service to define
>> what
>> parameters it allows (and that functionality needs to be queriable, of
>> course);
>> potentially that single identifier can stand for an infinite number of
>> identifier instances.
>> I should add that it does not matter, of course, whether the persistent
>> identifier's
>> root is ivo://ADS/<something>.<something> or a DOI
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>>  - Arnold

>> Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
>> Science Center
>> Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
>> 7701
>> 60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
>> 495 7356
>> Cambridge, MA 02138
>> arots at cfa.harvard.edu
>> USA
>> http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 7:54 PM, Accomazzi, Alberto <
>> aaccomazzi at cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:
>>
>>  At the danger of stating the obvious: we all know that Norman speaks the
>>> truth.
>>>
>>> Thanks for catching my URN vs. URI mangling -- I admit I hadn't looked up
>>> the definition of either one in quite a while.  But despite the misusage
>>> of
>>> terms, my point was that the ADS persistent ids were not born as IVORNs
>>> for
>>> both practical and political reasons, and I don't think it's worth
>>> agonizing about whether or not they can/should be retrofitted into that
>>> scheme now.  However, if agonize we must, one way out of this IMHO is to
>>> simply say the following:
>>>
>>> 1. the resource persistent identifier is: ADS/Sa.CXO#obs/05285
>>> 2. its corresponding IVO URI is: ivo://ADS/Sa.CXO%23obs/05285
>>> 3. its actionable URL is (as of today):