mysql_sphere: spherical geometry with MySQL

Kristin Riebe kriebe at aip.de
Wed Jan 22 04:06:59 PST 2014

Dear colleagues,

in case you happen to work with MySQL, there's good news:
spherical geometry functions are now available for MySQL as well!

Adrian Partl from the E-Science team at AIP, Potsdam, has ported
pgSphere to MySQL. His plugin is available at GitHub:

https://github.com/adrpar/mysql_sphere/

Since ADQL also contains spherical geometry functions, this is one of
the important pieces for being able to translate from ADQL to the MySQL
dialect. Such a translator would be required for implementing a
TAP-interface for services with MySQL-driven databases.

Major differences to pgSphere are:

* MySQL does not provide operator overloading, thus all operators are
transformed to functions

* No indexes for spherical geometry (yet)

* MySQL does not support custom defined types, thus all mysql_sphere
objects are base64 (optionally) encoded BLOBs and type checking is
handled by the mysql_sphere functions

Any comments, critics etc. are welcome! Just send a mail to me or
directly to Adrian (apartl at aip.de).

Cheers,

Kristin