PubDIDs (and DIDs in general, maybe)

Accomazzi, Alberto aaccomazzi at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 16 16:54:10 PST 2014

At the danger of stating the obvious: we all know that Norman speaks the
truth.

Thanks for catching my URN vs. URI mangling -- I admit I hadn't looked up
the definition of either one in quite a while.  But despite the misusage of
terms, my point was that the ADS persistent ids were not born as IVORNs for
both practical and political reasons, and I don't think it's worth
agonizing about whether or not they can/should be retrofitted into that
scheme now.  However, if agonize we must, one way out of this IMHO is to
simply say the following:

1. the resource persistent identifier is: ADS/Sa.CXO#obs/05285
2. its corresponding IVO URI is: ivo://ADS/Sa.CXO%23obs/05285
3. its actionable URL is (as of today):
http://vo.ads.harvard.edu/dv/DataResolver.cgi?ADS%2FSa.CXO%23obs%2F05285

i.e. there is a URL-encoding step in going from the identifier to the URIs.
 Doesn't look as pretty as we might have wanted, but it works.

As far as managing these identifiers, let me add a pointer to the EZID
system that CDL uses for its datacite DOIs and arks: http://n2t.net/ezid/
The resolver and registry that they maintain could easily support the ivo
URI scheme if we wanted to, but again no need to go that route unless we
need it for something that plain http doesn't already provide.

Cheers,
-- Alberto

--
Dr. Alberto Accomazzi