TAP Notes

Paul Harrison paul.harrison at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Jan 3 01:19:06 PST 2014

On 2013-12 -06, at 14:29, Markus Demleitner <msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:

>> Sec 3.2.1:
>>
>> In principle a quote is for a job which could be started at any
>> point (not just now), so quoting an absolute end time doesn't
>> make sense.  From that point of view number of seconds is better
>> than ISO8601.
>
> Fair enough (except that, of course, a time estimate when a job
> submitted at query time would finish does make sense, I would claim).
> The rationale behind standardizing on ISO time stamps was to not have
> to change the schema for such a minor thing.  I've added text saying
> that if the schema needs modification anyway, standardizing on
> seconds is preferable.

To be honest Quote is something that I regret ever being included in UWS - it is difficult for a service to give a good quote and difficult for a client to take any action on any quote given (especially as it is optional). I would be tempted towards trying to drop it in any future version, although changing to seconds would be more sensible and then the test of “potential success” would be against the execution duration rather than the destruction time - see https://volute.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/projects/grid/uws/doc/UWS.html#Quote

Regards,
	Paul.