param-link-to-field

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue Feb 18 09:07:18 PST 2014

The example from previous

<FIELD name="obs_publisher_did" ID="datalinkID"
        utype="obscore:Curation.PublisherDID" />

and with value -> href:

     <PARAM name="ID" arraysize="*" datatype="char"
            ucd="meta.id;meta.main" value="">
           <LINK content-role="ddl:id-source" href="#datalinkID"/> *
     </PARAM>

Now that I see this same example written by someone else (from Pierre's
email), the content-role is not really needed to create the connection
between the PARAM and the LINKed reference: the parent-child relation
does that. So in fact DataLink does not need to specify any content-role
at all to work. It may be valuable from a semantic point of view...

Thoughts?

On 18/02/14 12:37 AM, Markus Demleitner wrote:
> Hi Pat,
>
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 09:01:14AM -0800, Patrick Dowler wrote:
>> Thanks Markus; that clears things up. Since I didn't hear otherwise,
>> I am going to change the WD to use a child LINK instead of the
>> sibling FIEDLref (with href fragment).
>>
>> When I do that, I need to explain what content-role="ddl:id-source
>> means. What is that "ddl" prefix looking thing and where is it
>> defined?
>
> Is it possible to be honest and just say "The content-role is an
> opaque string to be compared case-sensitively."?  I'm not wild about
> that concrete string either, and I'd like "id-source" just as well (I
> wouldn't even loudly object to
> clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93) -- I'm rarely worried
> about name clashes in such fairly tightly controlled circumstances.
> Meaning: If you like some other string better, just change that.
>

> Since it kind of fits in here, allow me a brief indulgence in
> told-you-so: In Waikoloa, I proposed a model written in VO-DML to
> describe the Datalink response and thus have "principled" way of
> figuring out its serialization.  I'm not saying we should dig this up
> now that the standard has already progressed that far, I'm only
> saying the questions of such string forms, referencing in general,
> and all that comes with it are examples of why something like VO-DML
> and its standard serialization(s) would make our lives a good deal
> easier.  So much would suddenly be automatic...
>

> Cheers,
>
>           Markus

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2E7

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)