Datalink document questions

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Apr 29 07:56:00 PDT 2014

Hi Markus, Norman , all,
Partial answer on one point of your discussion.
Le 29/04/2014 12:17, Markus Demleitner a écrit :
> Dear DAL group,
>
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 12:32:59PM +0100, Norman Gray wrote:
>> leaves me, at least, with an incomplete picture.  Say this
>> identifier is ivo://foo/bar or http://example.org/bar (I presume
>> the standard is agnostic about which type of URIs it's servicing),
>>
>>    1. Is ivo://foo/bar the identifier for the dataset, or ...
>>    2. ...the identifier for a bag of metadata about the dataset?
> I'd strongly suggest it's the dataset.  I expect the standard
> identifier coming in will be the PubDID ("Dataset Identifier"), where
> already the name suggests that it's the dataset that's referenced.
I agree with Markus there. However the draft text says : typically an
IVOA publisher DID. That means that there are other possibilities.
For a DataLink service bounded to a DAL query response (as described in
4) it could be any internal ID Known by the DataLink service and
available in one of the Query response table column.
>> in papers?  Or, in other terms, if one were to give the 'author' of
>> ivo://foo/bar would it be referring to the scientist who generated
>> the data, or the datacentre that assembled the {link} information?
> The author of the dataset is the scientist.
Yes, but the name is created by the curator, or the datacenter. PubDID
is created by the curator. Two copies of the same dataset at two
different data centers share the same author but have different PubDIDs.

Cheers
François