Datalink document questions

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Mon Apr 28 08:39:16 PDT 2014

Hi Norman,
Thanks for the comment. Right now an answer on one of your points only:
Le 28/04/2014 13:32, Norman Gray a écrit :

> Sect 4.1: there's a pull-out discussion here about "...However, the VOTable schema only allows “results” and “meta” as values for type..."  I'm not positive about the issue, but is there a use here for the<LINK>  element whose meaning was adjusted in VOTable 1.3 (Sect 3.5)
>
> Sect 4.1: this section is about linking between this Datalink element and other resources (yes?). If this is about linking to other resources, why isn't it being done in the "{links}" table?  That sort of linking appears to be exactly what Datalink is about, so I'm a bit confused about why this extra section is here, talking about an apparently completely different linking mechanism.  (not to mention that it's a seriously complicated/confusing mechanism)

The service Descriptor section is there for two different purposes which
are both stated in the head paragraph of 4 : "The simplest example
...... in any record-based service output."

    So the service (VoTable) RESOURCE described after is required :
                 1 ) to describe where and how to access and use a
DataLink service bounded to a standard DAL service query response (TAP,
SIA, SSA , ....)

                 2 ) in the DataLink response itself, in order to
describe links which are "services" . The service_def field doesnt
contain the full description of the service ( url, service VOSI type for
STANDARD services -such as AccessData - and  in addition INPUT parameter
descriptions for CUSTOM services -such as those described by Laurent - )
but a REF to a service (VoTable) RESOURCE containing this description.

    Maybe we should rephrase a bit the $4 if this is not clear.

Best regards
François