Datalink Feedback VI: Semantics

Louys Mireille mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Fri Apr 25 08:49:11 PDT 2014

Dear all ,

About maintaining , updating semantic tags and vocabularies for the
VO...  see below..
Le 25/04/2014 10:39, Markus Demleitner a écrit :
> Dear list,
>
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 09:29:43AM -0700, Patrick Dowler wrote:
>> Q. Where do we specify the process for updating the vocabulary
>> itself? Is that something Semantics WG would have a general policy
>> about?
> Ah well.  The precedent we have is the UCD addition process, for
> which there's a standard of its own, and given that AFAIK nobody has
> even tried it I suspect that's not a particularly good precedent.
>
> IMHO, the WG that should determine how to do such things is SDP, and
> they should work this out.
Just a precision here :
The UCD lists have been updated regularly by the UCD maintenance comitee.
New items are currently discussed for tags related to planetary data
collections.

However , what we are targeting here is more related to the language and
vocabulary used in the different VO standards,
Datalink , SAMP, etc., so this would be interesting to stabilize this
common vocabulary accross the WGs.
I agree with Markus that it would be an intersting question to discuss
in Madrid, probably touching SDP and TCG concerns.

I just note that TCG "single majority" might not be very effective . We
have been trying to reach consensus in the past ...

Cheers, Mireille.