Summary -- Re: Datalink Feedback

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue Apr 22 15:34:04 PDT 2014

Here is a quick summary of the changes to the WD I have made so far,
followed by the outstanding issues.

* changes *

1. Changed the standardID for the {links} capability to use fragment
#links-1.0 so it refers to something in the StandardsRegExt record for
DataLink

2. Changed service descriptor resources to use type="meta" and
utype="adhoc:service". The type cannot change without a VOTable schema
change; the utype is as good as anything else and at least conveys the
adhoc nature :-)

3. Removed DALI-examples section entirely since it didn't add anything
beyond what DALI says and even re-phrasing it kind of "forks" the original

4. Made the capabilities example more complete and maybe even correct :)

5. Removed some unnecessary HTTP advice, fixed reference to DALI, and
made various suggested editorial changes, including improved explanation
in some areas.

6. Removed the ad-hoc vocabulary and changed text to say the semantics
column of the response will use an externally defined/maintained vocab.
The format/type of vocab is TBD.

7. Changed GROUP name to from "input" to "inputParams" in service
descriptor section.

8. Added additional service descriptor examples.

* not changed *

1. REQUEST remains a mandatory parameter with one defined value

2. (yet) I'm still thinking about how to clarify RESPONSEFORMAT

3. I recall it was proposed, but I did not change the service_def column
to use a fragment. The value is supposed to be the value of an XML ID
attribute elsewhere in the document, and while fragment (#something)
does imply the locality XML ID and IDREF pairs do not normally use
fragments so it seems inconsistent here.

* issues *

1. Can access_url in the table be different from accessURL in the
service resource: see my previous email

2. The whole vocabulary thing...

Pat

PS-Now looking to post a new WD this week sometime.

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2E7

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)