Datalink Feedback VI: Semantics

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue Apr 15 15:07:42 PDT 2014

We have recently updated our datalink service to try to shake out all
the issues we have discusued here.  On the topic of "full dataset
retrieval" and service_def, we just opted to leave service_def
empty/null (as in the last WD), which means this URL can be used as is.

On our portal, the download application calls datalink and in normal
mode just picks out all the non-service urls (eg service_def = null) and
uses them.

The datalink response includes real service links (service_def =
something and there is an associated resource with that ID), but we do
not yet have the intermediate case: a link which is not part of the
dataset retrieval but is an opaque url, such a a canned link to a
graphical preview image. We have such things, and if I was to add that I
would want to be able to differentiate it from "dataset retrieval"...

I would expect the semantics column to provide the solution to it.

So, I still think on the datalink service side a null service_def and
null or special ("self") semantics is correct for "dataset retrieval".

Pat

On 14/04/14 06:02 AM, François Bonnarel wrote:
> As far as the "full retrieval" is concerned (self) I don't think it
> belongs to the dataset. I think "dataset reterieval" is some kind of
> service and should be described via the "service-def" field.

IMO, A service_def would really obscure the fact that this is a plain
old download.

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2E7

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)