About the draft itself Re: WD-SIA-2.0

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Fri Apr 11 09:55:57 PDT 2014

Le 25/11/2013 18:27, Patrick Dowler a écrit :

> I have uploaded the current (incomplete) WD to the document repository:
>
> http://www.ivoa.net/documents/SIA/20131115/
>
> This is far fro m complete but I wanted to get an initial round of
> comments so we could stabilise something and get on to implementing it.

Hi all,
    I am coming back to the SIAV2 draft and proposes some changes or ask
some questions here.
0 ) page 5. the last sentence in the introduction is incomplete . "For
access to datacubes SIA...."

I ) 1.2.4 and 1.2.5 . (page 7) I would merge these two paragraphs and
write the 1.2.5 sentence ahead because the main motivation to have
AccessData resource with operations  is because  datacubes are too large.

II ) 1.2.4 (page 7) and 2 intro (page 8). There is some confusion
between "Data Access" as in "Data access layer" which is general and
"AccessData" resource wich as far as i understand is there to "Access
inside the data" or "extract from the data". So "a low level data access
service" should be rephrased " a low  level AccessData service" (1.2.4)
and "plan and execute data access operations" should be "plan and
execute AccessData operations"

III ) I don't understand "alternate authentication schemes". Can you
give an example ?

IV ) POS, BAND and TIME

       IN case of shapes and intervals what is the relationship between
this shape and the range of FOV of the dataset ?
BAND states clearly that "searching using an interval will find any data
with energy coverage that overlaps the specified interval". (page 10)
"THe TIME parameter defines the time interval to be extracted from the
data". Does that mean the same behavior?

The POS behavior for ROI should be the same by default for consistency.
But it is not stated in the text.

By the way   other behavior (find out datasets where coverage is totally
included in the ROI/ parameter ranges, or alternatly intersecting with
them) is also  interesting. Should we reintroduce the SIAV1 INTERSECT
parameter for that behavior description ? Or do we wait the next version
of SIAV2 ?

V ) POL .  Pat has asked a question about the meaning of having several
POL parameters . OR or AND ? (page 12)
      I think AND will be also needed. Stokes parameter is an ordered
list according to FITS  standard = I,Q,U,V
     So consistenly with other parameters I/V or Q/V would mean the
whole range of Stokes paremeters from I to V or Q to V

VI ) 2.2 metadata resource. "The output format is an XML document
defined by the ImageDM" . Will it be an XML document ? a VOTABLE one ?
Or something else ? Should SIAV2 version 1.1 have to say a world about
the output format ?

cheers
François