SIAV2 prototype / reference implementation

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Sep 27 14:16:28 PDT 2013

I would like to add something to Doug's message, regarding
event lists.
Just like filled data cubes are a special case of sparse cubes
(defined as a collection of sub-cubes within the frame of a
"master" cube), events lists are the other extreme: so
sparse that each individual voxel is listed separately.
They truly are multi-dimensional (usually at least 4-D)
images with a limited number of voxels called out individually.

Mark Cresitello-Dittmar developed a proof-of-concept prototype extension
of Doug's prototype that handles event data and provides cut-out
services, creating either event list subsets or n-D images - thus proving
the following concepts:
- The inclusion of event data is quite feasible and does not require
a great effort
- There is no reason to relegate event datasets to "pass-through" only
- It is feasible to integrate server-specific custom code as plug-in

The HEA community has been asking for the inclusion of its data
in the VO for several years. Event lists are well- standardized, but
the reactions has generally been that this must be too complicated.
Mark's proof of concept proves that this is not the case and that
there is no reason to exclude event list data from data cube
protocol development - or even to put off its inclusion.
Needless to say that adding HEA event data to the standard types
of data products in the VO greatly enhances interoperability.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA