WD-DataLink-1.0

Laurent Michel laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Oct 29 09:20:54 PDT 2013

Hello Path,

Thank for the job.

There are several questions or suggestions  I would to talk about.

1.2.4: Standards Services:
If the client is supposed to know the parameters required by the service, it does not know their range for a given observation.
  We could say here more clearly  that the client must use its own data discovery capabilities (DM knowledge, UCD parsing...) to
get them.

1.2.5: Free or Custom Services
I think that you could mention here the use-cases we developed in our note published last spring. This not could also be put in
the paper references.

2.1.1 REQUEST
Could you give some example of a REQUEST parameter "value triggering alternate behaviour"
Is that the way you suggest for custom services to deliver their parameter descriptions?

2.1.3 ID
"the service will return at least one... " Why put this particular caveat on the number of links returned by the server. An
empty list can be returned for dataset without available links (e.g. no available progenitors).

4 List if Links:
AccessURL/ErrorMessage on required/one empty. I think that the spec must be a bit more flexible to support services not
perfectly compliant: If the ErrorMsg is not empty, then the AccessURL is ignored. So, the client knows what to do even when both
field are set.

4.4 Service Type
I would be nice to add a table listing all Service TAP

And one 2 fundamental issues
============================

Registry: According to your documents, the client has to get a query response before to know whether the datalink is supported.
That makes senses in most cases. But it would nice to propose a way to mention somewhere in the registry capabilities whether a
service support Datalink  or not.

Self described service: There is almost nothing a bout the self described service and especially about how parameters are
described. They are just mentioned. I do believe, though, that this feature is very important and not only for my own services
since that is the way to connect the VO to legacy web services.

Cheers
Laurent

--

---- Laurent MICHEL              Tel  (33 0) 3 68 85 24 37
      Observatoire de Strasbourg  Fax  (33 0) 3 68 85 24 32
      11 Rue de l'Universite      Mail laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
      67000 Strasbourg (France)   Web  http://astro.u-strasbg.fr/~michel
---