[data-cube] Comparing protocols

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 29 05:32:55 PDT 2013

As it happens we had a discussion just like this here Friday, with the
CASA folks expressing concern about what would be required to get at
images/cubes via VO.  The main point made to us was that (for image
data) they only wanted to deal with a single service, providing
everything required to discover and access images within a single
service interface.  SIAV1 vs SIAV2 was also an issue, but could probably
be dealt with in the client side VO interface, that for basic access
could make the two look the same to client applications.

To me the main use for TAP/ObsTAP has always been the general archive
query interface.  If this is used to discover image data, then SAMP or
whatever is used to hand off a dataset reference to some image analysis
application that then uses SIAV2 to do the actual image data access.

 	- Doug