[SIAv2] query params

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Wed Nov 13 10:05:59 PST 2013

Yes, the / separated range syntax was adopted from other (non-astro)
syntax. IIRC, it is used in date ranges in ISO8601 and also in some
successful GIS-related systems. Basically, you want to be ale to specify
ranges and a non-space separator allows you to leave one or both ends
unbounded.

eg:

1/2 aka 1 to 1
1/  aka 1 to +inf
/2  aka -inf to 2

It is part of SSA-1.x now and so far just one voice calling to abolish
of such things :-) My opinion is that we need these more complex data
types (intervals and geometry) as they concisely describe values we use
all the time *and* adopting this approach makes for more robust software.

Having said that, I don't care much about the actual syntax of the
interval or geometry, but we do need these data types. But, as data
types they would not come with embedded metadata, which is why STC was
deemed the wrong tool for this job.

Pat

On 11/13/2013 06:44 AM, Gretchen Greene wrote:
> Is there some history to the RANGE syntax and value added by changing existing very simple STC-s syntax

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9A 2L9

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)