[DALI] timestamp format

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Wed Nov 6 11:48:26 PST 2013

On 11/05/2013 12:53 PM, Rob Seaman wrote:
> Per 2b, what does “local” otherwise mean virtually?  That is, if an ISO profile sans zed is local, that implies that its interpretation requires knowledge of the timezone (include any DST rules in effect, presumably) from some other source.  How would that be inferred / supplied in the IVOA in general and in this instance in particular?

I think that "local" in the ISO8601 sense means that a parser would
assume the local TZ  here the code is running, so it is only safe for
your own internal use. This was just what I inferred from the various
things I read. I agree it does not seem like a plausible way to justify
claiming compliance with ISO8601.

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9A 2L9

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)