[SIAv2] capabilities

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue Nov 5 12:33:40 PST 2013

I have been working on editing the SIAv2 draft, mainly splitting it up
into WD-SIA-2.0 which contains the query and metadata capabilities and
the WD-AccessData-1.0 which contains sync and async data access
capabilities (the latter two could be thought of as getData and
stageData respectively). In making these capablities/resource consistent
with DALI, I ran into a few small-ish issues that need some input. This
is to start that open discussion...

1. I defined the {query} capability as a DAI-sync resource that accepts
a certain set of params (REQUEST, RESPONSEFORMAT, MAXREC, plus the
actual query params). Does anyone feel that we also need a DALI-async
query resource for these simple parameter-based queries? (see *)

2. The {metadata} capability returns the complete metadata (as defined
by ImageDM) for a single observation discovered via {query} and could
also be used with a TAP/ObsCore query response. I have assumed this
resource is also a DALI-sync resource and that async is not needed here.

3. As written, it would be allowed for these two capabilities to be the
same resource (different values of REQUEST) or two different resources
(each supporting their specific value of REQUEST). That is more flexible
than previous SIAv2 drafts, in which only the REQUEST value differed.

Comments?

* One motivation for async query might be that if you also want to
redirect the response to some other destination (eg. write response to
some vospace location) then that naturally works much better in an async
job.

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9A 2L9

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)