[cube access] minutes from telecon (2013-07-03)

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue Jul 16 12:15:32 PDT 2013

Below are my notes from short telecon we had to discuss some details of
the cube access prototypes to be developed this summer.

Executive summary: a few simple params that define cutouts and flattening:

CUTOUT=<stc-S>
SUM=<axis>
AVG=<axis>

We will keep the STC-S simple to start (equatorial and galactic coords,
no reference positions to complicate things, maybe support only
wavelength and frequency for energy bounds, etc). This is *to start* and
will be reviewed once we have a few prototypes and get to the WD stage.

At this point, I would encourage anyone interested in this to implement
a simple parameter-based service, make it publicly accessible, and post
something to this list with some examples that work. Then we can discuss
what is ok, what is lacking, etc.

Pat

--
present: Pat (PD), Francois (FB), Doug (DT), Jose (JR), Felix (FS)

JR-prototype will include ~30 velocity (radio) cubes from Granada,
working with CDS to integrate cutouts into Aladin

FB-mainly concerned with from the client point-of-view on using cutout
services from Aladin

DT- VAO working on ImageDM, SIAv2 w/ access data, and cube access, but
priorities will effect what is done; work planned or underway at
multiple sites

PD-cubes from CGPS, a coupe from ALMA, also implementing cutout service
on images (2d) and spectra (1d)

cutouts:

- agreed the scope was just to use STC-S to define the boundaries of an
(STC term) AstroCoordArea, not other details about pixels, sample sizes, etc

- define a reasonable subset of STC-S that everyone can support, for
prototypes we will be strict and only support that subset; STC-S with
additional phrases will fail (note: the decision on ignoring vs
rejecting unexpected STC-S phrases will be reviewed later during WG review)

- restrictions: only allow FK4, FK5, GALACTIC, ICRS

- restrictions: not allowed to specify reference position; STC-S default
of UNKNOWNREFPOS will mean service will not perform any transformations
(this feasibly applies to all axes)

flattening:

- use different param(s) rather than try to bundle in the STC-S

axis is to be flattened; multiple SUM params or AVG params could be
specified to flatten on multiple axes (note: latter not discussed but I
think it makes sense, esp. if someone wants to flatten two spatial axes
to make a 1d spectrum from a cube)

- for the axis spec, we will need either to pull some labels from STC or
another DM or make up some constants. TBD

- if CUTOUT and SUM (or AVG) are both specified, the semantics are that
the cutout happens first, then the flattening

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9A 2L9

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)
.