SSA validator

Pierre Le Sidaner pierre.lesidaner at obspm.fr
Fri Jan 25 07:55:04 PST 2013

On 01/25/2013 02:44 PM, Douglas Tody wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jan 2013, Pierre Le Sidaner wrote:
>
>> I am currently updating my SSA validator at VOParis. Looking at this
>> link
>>
>> http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/ServiceValidation
>>
>> I see that *4.2.5* The RESOURCE containing the results of a response
>> to a valid query must include one FIELD / PARAM element with: UCD
>> mandatory
>> In the SSA document 1.1 and older only Utypes are mandatory not UCD
>> even in the SSA document 1.1   on  4.2.1
>> UTYPEs of standard fields are required for identification of
>> interface elements and *must* be given and *must* comply with the SSA
>> protocol (this document) /.../ UCDs *should* also be given when
>> specified by the protocol
>> So do you want me to ignore the document Service Validator and
>> validate what is in the protocol document
>> http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/SSA/20120210/REC-SSA-1.1-20120210.htm
>
> SSA uses UTypes to identify data model fields (that is what they are
> for), however a special case is the flux or spectral axis coord type
> which would be identified with a UCD.  Flux type for example is a
> physical quantity not a data model field hence UCD is used.  The data
> model field used to identify the flux type does have a UType, i.e.
> Char.FluxAxis.Ucd.
>
> Anyway I thought this was still merely a REC, at least in the SSA query
> response.  Where in the spec does it say that this is mandatory?
for Utype
in 4.2.5 Access Metadata
it's clearly said that utype parameters are mandatory, and you have a
table of what is mandatory

in
4.2.1 Query Response Metadata
Names of fields and parameters are left to the service provider. UTYPEs
of standard fields are required for identification of interface elements
and must be given and must comply with the SSA protocol

>> Moreover I as I have insist many time that XML schema referenced
>> should really be accessible to see if it's compliant with the text
>> xmlns:ssa="http://www.ivoa.net/xml/DalSsap/v1.0" is not available
>
> The xmlns usage in data models currently is not actually used as a
> schema.  A data model is an abstraction, not an XML document (except
> maybe for an XML serialization of an instance), hence cannot be defined
> by an XML schema.  What we really need is a formal data model
> definition, which is a topic for another discussion.  Meanwhile it
> should not be an error of the xmlns is not pointing to a real document.
> The string still identifies the data model used and its version. It was
> put in essentially as a placeholder until we have a better mechanism for
> this (just happens to be taking a while :-) ).
So Doug you mean that xmlns: blabla is just a fake url to say that it's
like if we have a real xml serialization
The real interest of it is to validate schema according to what is
written, it does not seem to me as a feature
Moreover it writing serialisation is also a way to discover that model
have some "misfeature" and can be corrected

But it does not tell me what to do ?
from start I will take Utype as mandatory and Ucd, type as a should
(warning), tell me if I do wrong
happy to read you

regards
Pierre