Multiextension FITS layers in new Aladin

Petr Skoda skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz
Thu Jan 10 18:31:08 PST 2013

Hi Pierre,

thank you first for explaining the glue record for using SIA to query the
photometric survey we have been working on. I have another question
related to this.

During the reduction phase we create the MEF where the
primary HDU contains the original image and the first extension the
bintable with the coordinates and aperture fluxes of all star-like objects
(having the given shape and PSF FWHM) - it is similar to the Sextractor
but we are using the package VO-MUNIPACK.

And I want to use Aladin to overplot the image with the identified objects
marked as a circles etc in the same way as you use catalog over image but
here it is achieved by loading local MEF.

In Alading FAQ is written "
------------------
4.8  Is Aladin supporting Multiple FITS Extension file (MEF) ?
Yes, it is !
Aladin is supporting all FITS files including Multiple FITS Extension
files (ascii tables, binary tables, images and tables, ...).

If there are more than one extension, Aladin shows the extensions in a
folder in the stack. The properties of each plane give access to the
specifical FITS header. The propertie of the folder gives access to the
primary FITS header.
"

It really works in my (oldish) Aladin v 7.0 and after loading it creates
3 planes - one folder containing the catalogue from extension 1 over
the image in extension 0.  It is very convenient as you can check the
fluxes as well as correct matches of astrometry applied and measure
individual objects. Moreover you can click on layer 2 and adjust the
symbols - color and  shape of identifications without changing background
image and you see directly the number of sources in a table etc ...

But in newer versions (namely 7.5. and 7.536 beta) loading of the same
file shows only the primary image - not the objects in the bintable.
I could not find other solution (there seems to be no option for showing
all extensions as I would suppose in case you removed this intentionally)
than to add manually the extension number behind the filename in a file
browser and do the things twice (i.e File->Open Local file, select
filename and in field add the [1] after the filename).

Is there a way to return to the former behaviour - opening all extensions
as described in a FAQ ?

Best regards

Petr

*  Petr Skoda                         Phone : +420-323-649201, ext. 361 *
*  Stellar Department                         +420-323-620361           *
*  Astronomical Institute AS CR       Fax   : +420-323-620250           *
*  251 65 Ondrejov                    e-mail: skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz  *
*  Czech Republic                                                       *