TAPRegExt erratum, Identifiers for Obscore

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Dec 11 09:35:26 PST 2013

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013, Paul Harrison wrote:

> Personally I think that it was a retrograde step to move from HTML to PDF as the mandated IVOA format, as PDF encourages people to take a local copy of the document (and consequently possibly keep referring to an out of date version) - if HTML were the only format for these documents (which is what W3C do) then the “latest” version of the document is always the one retrieved by the URL, and these naming issues become less important.

By my reading of the document that Omar already quoted
(http://www.w3.org/2001/06/manual/#Errata), your supposition about
what the W3C does is incorrect.

   "Since the errata page changes over time but a specific version of
    a Recommendation does not, place the errata page outside of the /TR
    hierarchy. There is an expectation that documents in the "TR zone"
    will not evolve over time."

Actually, one reason that I prefer PDF over HTML for this purpose is
just that - it conveys the impression that the document is fixed and
will not alter.

Mark